Children and Chiropractic
Are chiropractic adjustments on a child safe?
- Chiropractic is very safe and effective for children. In infants, a light touch pressure is often all that is needed. As a child grows, the pressure is adapted to their growing spine but is never more than appropriate or enough to cause injury.
Why should children receive chiropractic care?
- Unlike adults, small children do not typically experience back pain, neck pain, sciatica, headaches, etc… however, they do experience vertebral subluxation (misaligned/restricted joints) causing irritation and interference to the child’s nervous system.
- Chiropractic care for children is less about pain and symptoms and more about optimal function of the spine and nervous system and enhancing health and well-being.
- Chiropractors do not treat a child’s ailments and conditions but rather they remove interference in the child’s nervous system allowing their body to heal itself the way it was designed to.
What causes subluxations in children?
Birth is one of the biggest causes because it is a very traumatic process for a newborn and often places a large amount of stress and pressure on the baby’s head and neck. Traction forces (pulling) on the head during delivery are also very likely to cause subluxations.
- This is the case both in natural vaginal births as well as C-sections.
As the child grows, many of the developmental milestones are affected by spinal alignment so it is always good to have a child checked by a chiropractor at the following milestones:
- Learning to hold the head up (especially when laying on stomach)
- Rolling over
- Sitting up
Some of the other causes of subluxations include:
- Posture (falling asleep in car seat/bed in strange positions)
- Sports participation
- Texting/computer use
- Heavy school bags
- Sitting in classrooms all day
Some common childhood disorders that have improved with chiropractic care include:
- recurrent ear infections
- persistent sore throats and colds
- bedwetting and/or constipation
- growing pains
- Developmental delay
To schedule an appointment for your child, call us at (952) 435-5300. For more information about chiropractic and children visit www.icpa4kids.org